Tips to Help you Prevent a Holiday House Fire
With there being nearly 47,000 fires that occur during the winter holiday time, here are a few tips to help you prevent a fire this time of year.
- Remember to have your Christmas tree, candles and any other decorations at a minimum of 3 feet away from any heat source (Examples are fire places, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents, and candles).
- Make sure the tree you currently have or are looking to purchase is flame retardant metallic or artificial. If you are one who prefers a real tree make sure it has fresh green needles that aren't easily broken. Keep your real tree as moist as possible by making sure you water them often.
- Verify that your lights and decorations are in good condition. Pay close attention to make sure there are no wires showing on the light strings. Make sure to always follow the Manufacture's instructions that come with your lights and possibly your decorations.
- Remember to unplug your tree and lights before you leave the house or go to bed.
- Always make sure that you have no lit candles when you leave your house or go to bed, and never use lit candles to decorate your Christmas tree.
- Make sure that your tree stand is designed to prevent your tree from tipping over. Keep your curious pets and children away form the tree.
- Designate someone to walk around the home to make sure that all the candles or smoking materials are completely extinguished after the guests leave.
- Make sure that anything flammable (Example pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, towels, or curtains)are always kept away from the stove top.
- Smoke Alarms save lives! Make sure you have one installed near your kitchen. You should also have some alarms on every level near sleeping areas, as well as inside and outside bedrooms if you are someone who likes to sleep with your door closed. You should test your smoke alarms at least once a month and write on your calendar to remind yourself to change the batteries in the smoke alarm once a year.
Please watch the video provided by NFPA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr6b9b8FYKk&feature=youtu.be
If the unfortunate happens call SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids, and Hibbing at 218-999-9799. You can submit your own questions on our Facebook page, facebook.com/SERVPRO.BEMIDJI.GRANDRAPIDS.HIBBING, or on Twitter, @SERVPROBGRH.
SERVPRO #1 in Commercial Document and Content Recovery
One stressful situation that any business can find themselves in after a loss is the damage documents and contents, but rest assured that here at SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids, & Hibbing we are here to help. With our highly trained staff will work diligently to salvage as much of your documents and contents as possible. We have many techniques to ensure this happens Three techniques we could use are freeze drying, ultra-sonic cleaning, and data recovery.
When important documents get wet in a loss we have a crucial process to save them called freeze drying. Freeze drying is a process that involves using specialized freezing chambers to dry the documents. It is important that the documents remain wet until we can get them in to the chamber. So, the sooner we get to them the more likely we are to save them.
To be continued with Ultra-sonic cleaning and data recovery in the next post!
SERVPRO #1 in Commercial Document and Content Recovery Part 2
Another awesome technique that we can use is ultra-sonic cleaning. This technique is typically performed after a fire loss but can be utilized in other situations. Ultra-sonic cleaning is performed using three different specialized tanks to pre-wash your contents, agitate using ultra-sonic vibrations, and rinse contents using ionized water. This process gets in to those hard to reach nooks and crannies leaving your contents Debris free.
With the rise of technology, a lot of your information might be stored on your computer systems. If these systems are compromised all is not lost, here at SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing we have partnered with a local company who specializes in the repair and recover of your important data.
The utilization of freeze drying to save your paper documents, the ultra-sonic process to clean your contents, and the Data recovery for your electronic information. You can rest assured that in the chaos of whatever tragedy might rear its ugly head SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing is always here to help.
Unsettling Feeling About Mold
Do you have mold in your house and you want to know what one of the thousands of different types of mold you may have? SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing has a solution for you! This can be done by preforming a settling test.
The settling test is the most common and most accurate test when it comes to mold. The settling test is performed by placing settle plates on all affected levels and outside for a base line. The plates are placed for one to two hours than sealed labeled and sent off to an independent lab. The lab than incubates the dishes for 5-7 days. This allow the lab to identify the microorganisms using a microscope.
If the curiosity has the best of you contact SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing and get your settling test done today (218) 999-9799.
Funky Smell Have You Confused?
Do you have a strange odor that you suspect might be mold, but don’t have any visible mold? SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing has the test for you! This test is an air quality test used to test the large and the small particulates is the air. Giving us an idea of if you have mold or something else that is causing that funky odor.
The air quality test is preformed using a meter to test particulates larger then small micron and smaller than 10 microns. This machine is then placed in various areas around the house to include the affected areas and an unaffected area. Also, it will be placed outside to get a base line for the affected areas. Once the test has been completed results are interpreted by one of our highly trained technicians to determine what the possible causes are. Then one of our production management staff will come up with recommendations on what your next steps might be to solve the issue.
So, if you think you smell mold and can’t see it then call SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing today at (218) 999-9799
Have Mold Don't Wait Call
MOLD it’s one of the “scary” topics the we get calls about all the time. The thought of having mold in your house can be terrifying, but isn’t as bad as you might think. In fact, mold is natural and can be found all around the world. Yes, there are mold there are mold types that can be hazardous to your health, but not all mold is presents an immediate hazard to your health. Mold can be tolerated in small doses over a short period of time so don’t panic and call SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing at (218) 999-9799 to set up an appointment for a mold assessment.
The process of setting up the assessment is simple we just ask you some general questions about the suspected mold. We might have you send us pictures for us to get a better idea of what we might be walking into. From that point we can set up an appointment and a small fee a member of our team will inspect further.
The typical inspection includes a team member to physically inspect the affected areas and use a mold test to determine if it is mold that we are looking at. You can add an air quality test to test the count of particulates in the air. Air quality can be used that is done typically when no physical mold is visible. However, none of these techniques are used for identifying the type of mold. This requires a settling test and a lab to test the results. These tests will come with a report on our findings and an estimated cost for removal of the mold.
Tips to Avoid Bursting Pipes
7 HELPFUL TIPS TO AVOID BURSTING
PIPES THIS WINTER SEASON
- Wrap outside faucets.
- Caulk around pipes where they enter the house.
- Disconnect garden hoses.
- Drain in-ground sprinkler systems*
- Let a stream of water run if the temperature dips below freezing.
- Open cupboard doors in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Shut off and drain your water system if you are leaving the house for several days.
SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing is here to help in case of pipes that bursts or lines that freeze. Our crews are ready 24 x7 no matter how big or how small the SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing team handles them all, give us a call!
* Check manufacturer's instructions or give your local representative a call for the best way to do this.
Storm Damage Cleanup
SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids and Hibbing responds immediately to your flood and storm damage emergencies. We have the storm damage restoration experience and specialized equipment to restore your home or business back to pre-storm condition.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today (218)999-9799
Why Choose SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing?
We're Faster to Any Size Disaster
When a storm hits your home or business in our area, you need help immediately. Our quick response will help prevent secondary damage and help reduce restoration costs.
We're Highly Trained Storm Damage Specialists
We specialize in flooding and storm damage restoration, the cornerstone of our business. We have extensive water damage and storm restoration training that allows us to get your home back to normal quickly.
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technicians
We Have the Resources to Handle Storms and Disasters
When a major storm hits, it may overwhelm local restoration companies. SERVPRO of New Haven can scale our resources by accessing the equipment and personnel of 1,700 Franchises. We can also access Disaster Recovery Teams that specialize in major storms and catastrophic events.
Locally Owned Company with National Storm Resources
SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing is locally owned and operated and disabled veteran owned as well—so we live and work here too, and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of 1,700 with special Disaster Recover Teams that can respond with additional resources during catastrophic storms and major events.
Cleaning and restoring commercial properties require a unique blend of training, experience, and equipment. SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing has the resources and expertise to give you excellent results while minimizing the disruption to your clients. We can help make it “Like it never even happened.”
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- Manufacturing & Industrial
Have Questions? Call Today – (218)999-9799
Commercial Building Restoration Services
When it comes to commercial and residential restoration services, SERVPRO is a leader in the industry. Available 24 hours a day and seven days a week, SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing responds quickly to your business’s fire, water, and mold damage emergencies. No commercial project is too big, because we have access to the resources of a nationwide network of 1,700 Franchises. Learn more about our commercial restoration services.
What’s the Difference?
Since microscopic mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors, removing all mold from a home or business is impossible. Many restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold. This is a fallacy. We understand mold and mold growth. SERVPRO of Bemidji, Grand Rapids & Hibbing has the training and expertise to remediate the mold in your home or business.
Signs of Mold? Call Today -
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
The Mold Remediation Process
Every mold damage scenario is different and requires a unique solution, but the general mold remediation process stays the same. Learn more about mold remediation process.
- Emergency Contact - (218) 999-9799
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings