How Can I Keep My Elderly Parents Safe From Fire?
Our team in Bemidji, Grand Rapids, and Hibbing restores fire damage in Bemidji every year. Here are some fire safety tips for elderly populations from the National Fire Protection Association:
- Sleeping in a room on the ground floor makes emergency escape easier
- Make sure that smoke alarms are installed in every sleeping room and outside any sleeping areas
- Have a telephone installed where you sleep in case of emergency
- When looking for an apartment or high-rise home, look for one with an automatic sprinkler system. Sprinklers can extinguish a home fire in less time than it takes for the fire department to arrive
- If anyone in your household is deaf or if your own hearing is diminished, consider installing a smoke alarm that uses a flashing light or vibration to alert you to a fire emergency
- Conduct regular fire drills if you or someone you live with cannot escape alone, designate a member of the household to assist, and decide on backups in case the designee isn't home
- Make sure that you can open all doors and windows in your home. Check that windows haven't been sealed shut with paint or nailed shut; if they have, arrange for someone to break the seals all around your home or remove the nails.
Our Bemidji, Grand Rapids, and Hibbing team can help when you have fire damage in your home or business. Call us today at 218-999-9799.
Franchises are independently owned and operated.